Fibromyalgia is Not Forever: 8 Holistic Treatments to Banish Your Pain
I often hear this question from women who are suffering from fibromyalgia: “Is my pain forever?”
Fibromyalgia is a disorder that mainly affects women ages 20 to 50, causing widespread musculoskeletal pain, as well as mood swings, fatigue, and troubled sleep. While there are no recognized cures for fibromyalgia, there is also no reason you have to live with chronic pain and discomfort. Dealing with fibromyalgia pain requires lifelong dedication, and may involve changing your diet and exercise regime and incorporate healing practices into your daily schedule.
You may have heard of different pills that claim to reduce pain, but the solution to your discomfort can be much simpler, as well as eliminate the risk of harmful side effects. The following eight holistic treatments have been proven as effective alternative medicine for fibromyalgia and chronic pain:
1. Nutrition: Your diet is an excellent starting point for just about any chronic health condition. The best foods for fibromyalgia are green vegetables, omega-3 fats, lean proteins, and antioxidants (especially vitamins A, C, and E). Similarly, you should avoid trigger foods such as sugar, alcohol, caffeine, gluten, and processed products.
2. SAMe: The molecule S-Adenosyl methionine (SAMe) by relieving fatigue, morning stiffness, and pain. It is naturally produced by the body but can also be taken as a supplement as part of your diet for fibromyalgia elimination.
3. 5-HTP: 5-hydroxytryptophan (5-HTP) is an amino acid that aids in producing the mood-regulating neurotransmitter called serotonin. 5-HTP helps patients coping with fibromyalgia by functioning similarly to an antidepressant to reduce anxiety, pain, fatigue, and morning stiffness.
4. Acupuncture: In a 2013 article published in the Cochrane Database of Systemic Reviews, 395 participants spanning nine studies tried acupuncture for fibromyalgia and found it to improve stiffness and pain.
5. Yoga and meditation: Mental practices that balance the mind and body are excellent exercises for fibromyalgia because they reduce stress and can change the function of the brain, reducing its sensitivity to pain.
6. Counseling: Women who are dealing with fibromyalgia as a result of emotional trauma may benefit from speaking with a therapist to release tension that could be exacerbating their chronic pain.
7. Manual lymph drainage: This lymphatic massage uses gentle pressure to move lymph fluid through the body to aid your lymph system in eliminating toxin buildup that could be the cause of fibromyalgia.
8. Essential oils: Soothing essential oils for fibromyalgia include lavender oil to reduce emotional stress and relax the muscles and helichrysum oil to heal nerve tissues, boost circulation, and reduce muscle pain.
Fibromyalgia is a complex and misunderstood condition that leaves many patients thinking, “Can fibromyalgia go away, or is it forever?” The answer to both those questions is yes, depending on whether you are willing to make the necessary changes in your life to live free of chronic pain. I invite you to call 303.503.5969 to reach Sage Nutrition and Healing Center in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, and schedule a session to discuss the best treatment for fibromyalgia pain.