Whether due to age, or an underlying condition, hair loss can be frustrating and distressing to anyone who suffers from it. Many individuals resort to experimenting with creams and serums, investing in highly invasive hair plugs, or ingesting questionable medications to no avail.
However, there are more effective, minimally invasive, and natural options that focus on stimulating hair growth. Through advanced treatments, such as platelet-rich plasma injections, those suffering from hair loss may finally achieve the results they have been searching for.
Common Causes of Hair Loss
- Aging- Standard aging is one of the most common causes of hair loss, with the vast majority of men and women experiencing thin hair and hair loss as they get older.
- Genetics/hereditary reasons- Some individuals are more prone to hair loss than others. This predominantly occurs when they have inherited genes that cause their hair follicles to shrink and eventually stop growing hair.
- Vitamin/mineral deficiencies- Those who are deficient in vitamins, especially in biotin, iron, and zinc, may have noticeable hair loss.
- Hormonal imbalances or fluctuations- Abrupt shifts in hormones or hormone imbalances may directly affect hair growth. This can occur due to circumstances such as pregnancy, childbirth, or thyroid dysfunction.
- High levels of stress and anxiety- When an individual experiences a harrowing event or trauma, such as the death of a loved one or divorce, he or she is more likely to notice hair loss.
- Certain health conditions- Furthermore, certain health conditions such as alopecia areata or chemotherapy treatments may impede hair growth. In these situations, the body’s immune system attacks the hair follicles, resulting in hair loss.
- Improper hair or scalp care- Hair damage from improper care such as excessive drying or heat styling can exacerbate over time and contribute to hair loss.
How PRP Can Help
Unlike many of the conventional hair restoration methods involving questionable medications, potentially dangerous chemicals, or highly invasive methods, platelet-rich plasma (PRP) injections target the body’s natural restorative capability.
By doing so, this treatment can stimulate dormant hair follicles once again, resulting in regrowth and a fuller head of hair.
In this procedure, our clinician will draw a sample of your blood, then spin it in a device called a centrifuge. This process results in a nearly colorless plasma that is essentially supercharged with platelets.
Though the main role of the platelets within the body is clotting blood and stimulating healing, the PRP also contains necessary proteins and growth factors.
Therefore, when injected into the scalp, it can effectively stimulate latent hair follicles and regrow hair.
The treatment requires little to no downtime and is performed in our facility on an outpatient basis, allowing patients to return to their day soon after their appointment is complete. Additionally, because PRP uses your own blood, the likelihood of experiencing unwanted side effects or rejecting the treatment is virtually non-existent.
To find out if platelet-rich plasma injections are the solution to your hair loss contact our office today for a complimentary consultation.